Saturday, October 27, 2012

UNEXPECTED GUEST

ZACCHAEUS

Read:
Luke 19:1-10


      When Jesus came to the place, He looked up and saw him, and said to him, "Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house." Luke 19:5 NKJV
* * *
      Zacchaeus was a man who was small in stature, but a big shot in his position as tax collector for the Roman government. The price for his dishonest position of wealth was contempt by his own people.
      Unlike many who stood by, Zacchaeus knew he was a sinner and believed that Jesus could forgive him. He also knew what he had to do next: He said, "Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount." (19:8 NIV)
      Jesus never did anything the way the leaders expected. To call a tax collector down from a tree and announce that He was going to his house; that was unprecedented behavior. But Jesus did things purposefully for eternal results, not human applause.
* * *
      Lord, I want to live for You in a way that pleases You, not just as others expect. I want to teach my children and grandchildren to seek Your will in their lives, not the applause of the world.
* * *
      And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." Luke 19:9-10 NKJV

No comments: