Tuesday, January 11, 2011

HIS OWN PURPOSE

[14]
RACHEL AND LEAH


Read Genesis 29:1–30:24
* * *
     Jacob said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? I served you for Rachel, didn’t I? Why have you deceived me?” Genesis 29:25b NIV
* * *
     No one can read this account of Laban’s blatant deception without feeling sorry for Jacob and Rachel, and especially for Leah. Some would say Jacob deserved to be tricked, since he had done the same to Esau.
* * *
     But through it all, in spite of the actions of sinful men, God’s plan moved forward: Jesus came from the tribe of Leah’s son Judah, and God used Rachel’s son Joseph to save his people from extinction.
* * *
     Looking at this whole story in hindsight we can say with the apostle Paul, “all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began–" (Romans 8:28; 2 Timothy
* * *
     Lord, help me to think in terms of the big picture, even when I can’t understand why things happen the way they do. Grant me the faith to believe that You have a much larger purpose in it all, which will work for our good and Your glory, even for generations to come.
* * *
… and when she (Leah) gave birth to a son she said, “This time I will praise the LORD.” So she named him Judah … Then God remembered Rachel … She gave birth to a son and named him Joseph … Genesis 29:35; 30:22‑24a NIV

No comments: